Where & When
For our gatherings we will be utilizing a program called Zoom. You will need to download it onto your computer or phone to join us via video. You’ll be in a conference space with myself, one of my Student Trainees and a group of friendly fellow learners from all over the world. With video, we will be able to see each other. We will use breakout rooms for small group and paired exercises during class.
Video Web seminars work amazingly well. Hope to see you here!
Each of us lives in community. Our family is our first one. In Focusing, we learn to create a space of radical acceptance for our inner community. During our time together, we will create a safe, playful environment to explore how we show up for the communities outside of us.
Our time together will be heavily experiential. We’ll utilize universal themes and prompts from adventures in Smartview Stories. Smartview Stories is a series of family books that explore living a Focusing way of life in community. The stories illustrate both what is going on outside of us as well as inside of us via three Inner Companions based on neuroscience concepts. We’ll become familiar here with how these Inner Companions function within our own lives.
Attending these will be very helpful if you are an educator supporting social and emotional literacy with groups of children or adults.
There will be whole group invitations and discussions. Sometimes we’ll invite writing, art and movement. We’ll have pair and small group breakout spaces. You may be invited into role-play scenarios and groups can volunteer to share their skit. Expect to laugh here, humor seems to be an essential quality of being when we invite our fears around holding our own sense of self in the world.
An aspect we practice in this community is both presuming welcome (I belong) and extending welcome (you belong). From here, a We Space between naturally forms. I encourage self-empowerment and enjoy working alongside members of the Learning Community. This is a community for advanced Focusers and certification trainees that I facilitate. I have invited them to join in co-teaching these webinars. Together, we create a magical carpet ride we extend toward you.
We welcome any threads you’d like to add during your time with us here!
Skills you can grow during our time together:
* learn to utilize the three Inner Companions from Smartview Stories to make valuable aspects of Gendlin's philosophy and our body/brain neuroscience easy to understand.
*learn to discern when you are living from a partial view and when you are holding space for the whole of your body's wisdom in this situation.
* our mind is 'sticky', it likes to hold on to patterns it knows from the past. We will become more efficient at recognizing these sticky strategies and gain insight into moving beyond them in this playful community environment.
* the ability to pause and move into your body, into the present moment, or over to your right hemisphere to access a bigger picture and potentially do something new here. Each time we do this rewires our brain toward a sense of working together around future similar situations.
* via improvisational role play during our time together, practice resilience in rolling with what is here now.
* improve your ability to interact with others with kindness and clarity that everyone and everything is safe and with a sense of we're in this together.
* develop more ways to support yourself and those around you in processing challenging interactions.
* become aware of embodiment techniques that you can incorporate into your daily life to encourage holding on to new patterns that are emerging for you.
* receive neuroscience related handouts to support you in practicing these concepts in your daily life.
This event is free. Donations toward our Focusing Belongs in Schools initiative are welcome.
Email me at [email protected] for questions.
Register online here: